Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Putter dilema

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 503
Join date : 2010-11-01
Age : 31
Location : West

PostSubject: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:39 am

Hi guys,

Currently having a putter dilema.. anyone can advise which putter should i get? Or have any comments on the following putters? I tend to prefer anser style putters..

1) Scotty Cameron - Either newport 2 or California
2) Ping Redwoond anser
3) Odyssey black series #1 (the old old model)
4) Odyssey black series 2 tour

In terms of price, I think 3) is the cheapest (about half of the others).. what you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Online
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 321
Join date : 2009-11-05
Location : Borrowed fairway

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:24 am

My feel is that putters are very personal to the individual in terms of how it looks overall, at address, how you feel when you putt with it, and how confident you are when looking down at the putt before stroking the ball.

All 4 listed are traditional blade putters, with either 1/2 or full shaft offset. You may need to decide how much offset you need when you putt and how the putter looks at address. Try them out in the shop first, but best if you could borrow a friend's for a round or two. Don't think you need to get the exact model to try, as these designs are pretty common.

If any one model you have listed is a dream putter, then I guess there is not much reason not to get it as our minds will play tricks on us when we did not buy that ONE and then miss putts. Coming around a second time to buy it will only cost more in the long run.



Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 146
Join date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:24 am

Totally agree with Quest on his response.

I like blade putters. But when my putting goes wrong, i wonder if its my putter or myself. As for irons and drivers, yea I suck on those, so I know where is my problems. Putting is very personal. You need to condition it after your purchase.

*stroke it, kiss it, bathe it etc.. Then miracles will happen when putting from a long distance.

Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 915
Join date : 2009-11-20
Age : 56
Location : bukit

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:32 am

I have tried all the above putters, but non of the above rolls(ball) better than the latest ZEN putters..... No more dilemma !!!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 10361
Join date : 2009-12-19
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:44 am

Capt, you beat me to it!
Also wanted to extol the marvellous roll of a ZEN to our bro here.

Bro Gary, like what Quest mentione, putter is a very personal thing. Take your time to find your 'love'.
On that note, do include ZEN putter in your above list yea.

Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4638
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:55 pm

if I only have money to buy 1 putter, I will buy the zen
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:31 pm

zhenxua wrote:
if I only have money to buy 1 putter, I will buy the zen

we need a reason to saddam u, now gathering all zen owners to find time to saddam ZX, the infidel....

so dun buy zen hor.....
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 4638
Join date : 2010-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:56 pm

I'm a zen owner lah shifu
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5692
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 47
Location : Wild Wild West

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:00 pm

then how to saddam ZX liddat.....
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 10361
Join date : 2009-12-19
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:05 pm

Can. He got 910 already.

Old drivers versus his 910!
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 5410
Join date : 2009-12-05
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:08 pm

slinger wrote:
zhenxua wrote:
if I only have money to buy 1 putter, I will buy the zen

we need a reason to saddam u, now gathering all zen owners to find time to saddam ZX, the infidel....

so dun buy zen hor.....
\

No Zen putter can also join in to saddam him? There is a big pool of players waiting. I take no. 1 in the queue. bounce
Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 814
Join date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:48 pm

garylin wrote:
Hi guys,

Currently having a putter dilema.. anyone can advise which putter should i get? Or have any comments on the following putters? I tend to prefer anser style putters..

1) Scotty Cameron - Either newport 2 or California
2) Ping Redwoond anser
3) Odyssey black series #1 (the old old model)
4) Odyssey black series 2 tour

In terms of price, I think 3) is the cheapest (about half of the others).. what you guys think?

My first choice was Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 No stock, California stock, went to shop
to buy the California that unit I wanted was sold, no choice look around found a PING REd Wood
slightly more expensive than Scotty Cameron.

Thursday Played with it, I putt straight with this PING RedWood, I am happy
with it...
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1141
Join date : 2009-11-11
Age : 27
Location : Gold Coast , QLD

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:04 pm

I Say Scotty Cameron Newport 2 , is the one im using . i just feel that it not soft but not hard feel either. and the roll is suiting me . if you want soft feel you shoud go for odyssey. i change a lot of putter and this one just is magic for me .... mist import its to get also fitted by loft , lie and length ... when u look at it u should know n trust that the ball will be in the hole. i guess i love this scotty. improve my game a lot .... never 3 putt ....
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2978
Join date : 2009-06-19
Age : 42
Location : Sinkapoh

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:22 pm

I have had the new Newport 1.5 for abt a year now, to be honest, I dont like the putter and for most part, I hated it. The Newport felt very hard as if you are putting out of a rock surface. Yes, it has been used and owned by many, but comparing to my old Newport classic 96, the current series way off in terms of feel from the older series.

Think carefully before you make your purchase, once you buy one, you are probably stuck with it. Best is to try it as many times as you can before making up your mine.

Zen would also be a good considerations and if not, I would say its better.

Ps: I am not a Zen Owner.


Last edited by Khorkar on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy


Posts : 5606
Join date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Like KK, I also feel the current Scotty is not as good. IMO, Studio Stainless is softer than the current one. I have the Newport Midslant as my backup putter. I like soft feeling in a putter.

Surprisingly the $99 Cleveland classic putter felt good to me.

The best feeling putter I have tried is the Yamada Copper lying around in DGman's room. Yarra has it for sale, but the price is damn steep!

The second best feeling putter I have tried is my own Zen ZAM, with graphite shaft. With steel shaft though, I found it just slightly less clicky as the current NP.

Odyssey are very clicky and hard for me. I dun understand when folks refer them as soft (with insert etc).

These are purely based on personal taste
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:57 pm

During one of my games, I overheard fm one golfer to another

Tat to putt well, one way is to chip closer
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 10361
Join date : 2009-12-19
Age : 39

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:18 pm

Wah......that game brings back memories, man! Haha
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1103
Join date : 2010-09-19
Location : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:29 pm

just chip it in all the time so you need not worry about putting.. Razz
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 6384
Join date : 2009-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:57 pm

when you are putting well...you will naturally chip well too and vice versa.

it comes hand in hand.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 503
Join date : 2010-11-01
Age : 31
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:20 pm

actually im indeed considering the Zen as well. the putting style usually ok for me but its the feeling when the putter hits the ball that im concerned about.. too bad my kakis dont have those putters for me to try! odyssey black series thinking of getting from tgw.com...

I used to have a black series i (with insert) but dont really like the feel when the putter hits the ball.. im not really sure how does soft/hard feels but i like to feel the click when i hit the ball (something like a ping sound).. i'm inclined towards the black series to save some $$ but have no chance to try cos i cant find it in sg.. only can buy from tgw..
Back to top Go down
Online
garylin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 503
Join date : 2010-11-01
Age : 31
Location : West

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:23 pm

iron eagle wrote:
garylin wrote:
Hi guys,

Currently having a putter dilema.. anyone can advise which putter should i get? Or have any comments on the following putters? I tend to prefer anser style putters..

1) Scotty Cameron - Either newport 2 or California
2) Ping Redwoond anser
3) Odyssey black series #1 (the old old model)
4) Odyssey black series 2 tour

In terms of price, I think 3) is the cheapest (about half of the others).. what you guys think?

My first choice was Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 No stock, California stock, went to shop
to buy the California that unit I wanted was sold, no choice look around found a PING REd Wood
slightly more expensive than Scotty Cameron.

Thursday Played with it, I putt straight with this PING RedWood, I am happy
with it...
hi ironeagle, can share where u buy ur redwood and how much? can pm me also Smile think i saw before at far east but never ask the price..
Back to top Go down
Online
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3248
Join date : 2009-07-17
Age : 41
Location : Serangoon Central

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:20 am

garylin wrote:
actually im indeed considering the Zen as well. the putting style usually ok for me but its the feeling when the putter hits the ball that im concerned about.. too bad my kakis dont have those putters for me to try! odyssey black series thinking of getting from tgw.com...

I used to have a black series i (with insert) but dont really like the feel when the putter hits the ball.. im not really sure how does soft/hard feels but i like to feel the click when i hit the ball (something like a ping sound).. i'm inclined towards the black series to save some $$ but have no chance to try cos i cant find it in sg.. only can buy from tgw..

Bro, if you can, come over to BFG at bukit merah to try out the zen putter. The putting area is really impressive, close to the real putting green.

Edit: Btw don't say I never warn you, once you try the feel of zen putters... Kind of hard to get accustomed to other putters... Unless it's a putter that you have trusted for a long long time.


Last edited by watermyforrest on Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:24 am

Why putt when you can chip in!

Anyway, I think a good putter is important. It inspires confidence and I'll tell you what... if you putt well on a hole and you save a par or score a birdie, it inspires you to drive well on the following hole. So, the benefits of a good putter extend beyond the green Smile

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1594
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:25 am

garylin wrote:
actually im indeed considering the Zen as well. the putting style usually ok for me but its the feeling when the putter hits the ball that im concerned about.. too bad my kakis dont have those putters for me to try! odyssey black series thinking of getting from tgw.com...

I used to have a black series i (with insert) but dont really like the feel when the putter hits the ball.. im not really sure how does soft/hard feels but i like to feel the click when i hit the ball (something like a ping sound).. i'm inclined towards the black series to save some $$ but have no chance to try cos i cant find it in sg.. only can buy from tgw..

U mean black series tour?

http://www.odysseygolf.com/Global/en-US/Products/Putters/BlackSeriesTourDesigns/BlackSeriesTourDesigns2Putter.html

I think Pan West have them
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3248
Join date : 2009-07-17
Age : 41
Location : Serangoon Central

PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:28 am

Technospaz wrote:
Why putt when you can chip in!

Anyway, I think a good putter is important. It inspires confidence and I'll tell you what... if you putt well on a hole and you save a par or score a birdie, it inspires you to drive well on the following hole. So, the benefits of a good putter extend beyond the green Smile

Let's have a game... I believe you can chip in all the time so I'll forfeit your putter. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Putter dilema   Today at 9:37 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Putter dilema
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Putter dilema
» Putter with insert
» Exclusive 1st Look at the Nike METHOD M4 Putter Prototype.
» Where to get the latest Scotty cameron California putter?
» scotty cameron putter cover

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The Pro Shop :: Equipment Reviews-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.