Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Club Head Speed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Club Head Speed   Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:22 pm

Can anyone advice me on how to increase club head speed? Physically my body is already at its max when it comes to my swing.

By the way I have just started out and am still trying to be consistent with my swing.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:38 pm

Some tips:

1. Build your strength, particularly around your arms, shoulders, waist and upper torso (generally).

2. Pick up an ImpactStik and practise your swing. You'll realize that this helps build strength, accuracy and overall confidence in your swing.

Also, read this. You can search for a variety of similar articles on the net. In this respect, Google is your friend Smile


Last edited by Technospaz on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer


Posts : 430
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Jurong

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:39 pm

firstly... good to correct your typo in your topic title...

second, your post seems to be contradictory...

how you know your body is already at its max, when you just started and still trying to be consistent...

u r right on your priority to get your swing consistent first. swing speed or club head speed can then increase for effectiveness, otherwise, wat's the use of swinging fast and hard with the ball going all over the place, or worst, cant even hit/contact the ball properly...

one step at a time lah.. my two cents worth
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1210
Join date : 2009-07-30
Age : 29
Location : Serangoon Gardens

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:53 pm

haha the typo's distracting isn't it? i'm trying to get more distance too but my swing isn't consistent yet so i'll leave that for later. and the impactstik really works. so if you're really interested in gaining speed/dist then that would be a good way to go.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2648
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 41
Location : East

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:38 pm

dun underestimate to stretch and improve yr flexibility too....

err... tht's from a old man point of view la..... Razz
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 856
Join date : 2009-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:10 pm

Club head speed can be increased by moving the arms faster. To do this you need to have good technique (posture, grip, turn, body angles etc) strong forearms and wrists, be able to create "leverage" or "lag" and the correct equipment to suit your physical attributes. If you are not willing to get stronger physically, that leaves the technique and equipment. Find a coach who can get you on the right track but more importantly, have fun and enjoy the game. There are more important things in golf such as chipping and putting. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:19 pm

Hi RSC,

Its not that I am not willing to get stronger physically, it is just that my spine can't take the stress anymore due to many old nagging injuries.

I do have it my forearms and wrists.(Attained from bowling for many years at a competetive level) but had to stop due to back problems.) So I was hoping for other methods while I slwoly strengthen my back again.

Technique wise I am getting there slowly but surely thanks to my coach and He has taught me technuqeus to strengthen my back but I am just a casual / leisure beginner. I do the excercises but it would take more time than I can spare. I can barely juggle 2 lessons + 1 practice session per week.

But what I really want to say is THANKS FOR THE ADVISE. really appreciate it.

*Edited due to typo errors.


Last edited by Winston on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer


Posts : 939
Join date : 2009-07-22
Age : 38
Location : Golfless City

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 am

Right_sided_coach wrote:
Club head speed can be increased by moving the arms faster. To do this you need to have good technique (posture, grip, turn, body angles etc) strong forearms and wrists, be able to create "leverage" or "lag" and the correct equipment to suit your physical attributes. If you are not willing to get stronger physically, that leaves the technique and equipment. Find a coach who can get you on the right track but more importantly, have fun and enjoy the game. There are more important things in golf such as chipping and putting. Very Happy

Hi Paul, how can i create lag? Or more lag? Does it means more of the so call "cocking"?
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 856
Join date : 2009-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:42 am

Lack of lag is the end result of other things that have gone wrong in the swing. Possibilities could be loss of wrist angles, tilted body shape, excessive clearing, too steep a swing path. If all these things are ok in your swing then maintaining the hinge in wrists is a good place to start. Impossible to do if some of above mentioned things are not correct. Without seeing your swing it is hard to say precisely. Send me a video or come for FREE swing analysis. I will be able to tell you more once I see your swing.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:54 am

kopiO wrote:
firstly... good to correct your typo in your topic title...

second, your post seems to be contradictory...

how you know your body is already at its max, when you just started and still trying to be consistent...

u r right on your priority to get your swing consistent first. swing speed or club head speed can then increase for effectiveness, otherwise, wat's the use of swinging fast and hard with the ball going all over the place, or worst, cant even hit/contact the ball properly...

one step at a time lah.. my two cents worth

I apologise for the typo

Due to the stiffness in my back and also because of injuries, there is only so much I can rotate my back / shoulders. I always stretch and warm up before every session but I still feel alot of stiffness HELP

Even my coach has given up on getting me to do a full swing (club parallel to the ground on the back swing) and has taliored made my lessons to suit my physique. I am asking here also because I am hoping to find other methods that might be able to help.
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member


Posts : 4006
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 71
Location : LaLa Land~

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:55 am

Winston wrote:

I apologise for the typo

Due to the stiffness in my back and also because of injuries, there is only so much I can rotate my back / shoulders. I always stretch and warm up before every session but I still feel alot of stiffness HELP

Even my coach has given up on getting me to do a full swing (club parallel to the ground on the back swing) and has taliored made my lessons to suit my physique. I am asking here also because I am hoping to find other methods that might be able to help.

Winston,

let me help you correct the typo in the subject title. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals


Posts : 856
Join date : 2009-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:10 am

Winston wrote:
kopiO wrote:
firstly... good to correct your typo in your topic title...

second, your post seems to be contradictory...

how you know your body is already at its max, when you just started and still trying to be consistent...

u r right on your priority to get your swing consistent first. swing speed or club head speed can then increase for effectiveness, otherwise, wat's the use of swinging fast and hard with the ball going all over the place, or worst, cant even hit/contact the ball properly...

one step at a time lah.. my two cents worth

I apologise for the typo

Due to the stiffness in my back and also because of injuries, there is only so much I can rotate my back / shoulders. I always stretch and warm up before every session but I still feel alot of stiffness HELP


Even my coach has given up on getting me to do a full swing (club parallel to the ground on the back swing) and has taliored made my lessons to suit my physique. I am asking here also because I am hoping to find other methods that might be able to help.

Try this Winston. I have posted it before in another thread. Hope it helps (not me by the way, it is my mentor Gary Edwin)


Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:10 am

ironfist wrote:
haha the typo's distracting isn't it? i'm trying to get more distance too but my swing isn't consistent yet so i'll leave that for later. and the impactstik really works. so if you're really interested in gaining speed/dist then that would be a good way to go.

Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:17 am

jaketang wrote:
dun underestimate to stretch and improve yr flexibility too....

err... tht's from a old man point of view la..... Razz

Hi Jake,

I in my mid thirites but due to many many years of being inactive and many beers later I have learnt importance of stretching.

I have yet to start on the driver and I dread to feel the impact on my lower back when I start... Stretcher HELP
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:20 am

Hi Ms Moon,

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Hi RSC,

would most certianly give it try. I have one spare tyre but unfortunatly its connected to my body.... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1594
Join date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:33 am

what back problem u have?? slip disc?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:57 am

Yeah, what sort of injuries have you suffered? My recommendation would be to have those remedied first and then focus on golf. The reason for this is simple: golf can actually aggravate the injuries. Unless you have recovered significantly, I would advise against playing too much golf, if at all.

Assuming that the injuries are remedied or at least, to the best of anyone's ability, then I guess you'll have to build swing speed through various other ways such as increasing the strength of your arms and building more confidence. If you are more certain or have a more consistent swing, you can exert more force when striking the ball.

HTH

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2648
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 41
Location : East

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:37 am

for me, i oso got many injuries.... due to the sports i play when younger... in fact i took up golf after my knee is gone...(can't play my sport anymore, competitively)...

now as time passed, all the old injuries slowly surfaced and cant really do much... Sad
see sinseh oso no use....
see western doc, they juz say rest and dun play too much... Sad
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1324
Join date : 2009-07-05
Age : 35
Location : Sometimes Serangoon Sometimes India

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:51 am

jaketang wrote:
for me, i oso got many injuries.... due to the sports i play when younger... in fact i took up golf after my knee is gone...(can't play my sport anymore, competitively)...

now as time passed, all the old injuries slowly surfaced and cant really do much... Sad
see sinseh oso no use....
see western doc, they juz say rest and dun play too much... Sad

Your knee is GONE!!! WAT HAPPENED!!
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:58 am

HI Weesern & Techno

I don't suffer from slip disc, I basically have a weak lower spine cord due to one of the veterbrates having a "crack" in it. Doctors cant figure out if it is a birth defect or accident. I also have a weak left knee due to bowling for many many years.

There is no sugery to correct the spinal cord problem. The only way to reduce the problem is to strengthen the muscles around my tummy (more like beer belly) and lower back. Crying or Very sad

I am religiously working on it so that I can play golf.
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:04 am

jaketang wrote:
for me, i oso got many injuries.... due to the sports i play when younger... in fact i took up golf after my knee is gone...(can't play my sport anymore, competitively)...

now as time passed, all the old injuries slowly surfaced and cant really do much... Sad
see sinseh oso no use....
see western doc, they juz say rest and dun play too much... Sad

Knee is gone?? How you manage to still play?? I find that my left knee takes alot of strees during the follow through. That is why my left foot is pointing outwards more than my right foot Arrow \ | This is what my stance looks like at address. BTW, I am right handed
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2648
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 41
Location : East

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:04 am

bro...hahaha what i meant it's gone..means i can't jump anymore....something gota do with my cartilage....

can't climb stairs properly, cant squad too fast, etc....
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2648
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 41
Location : East

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:05 am

Winston wrote:
jaketang wrote:
for me, i oso got many injuries.... due to the sports i play when younger... in fact i took up golf after my knee is gone...(can't play my sport anymore, competitively)...

now as time passed, all the old injuries slowly surfaced and cant really do much... Sad
see sinseh oso no use....
see western doc, they juz say rest and dun play too much... Sad

Knee is gone?? How you manage to still play?? I find that my left knee takes alot of strees during the follow through. That is why my left foot is pointing outwards more than my right foot Arrow \ | This is what my stance looks like at address. BTW, I am right handed

juz play loh.... but canot put too much stressed though....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:08 am

jaketang wrote:
bro...hahaha what i meant it's gone..means i can't jump anymore....something gota do with my cartilage....

can't climb stairs properly, cant squad too fast, etc....

If Tiger can overcome with surgery, so can anyone else Smile

Golf is a great game if you want to take it slowly. No need to rush. Play at your own pace (so long as the marshals don't come after you) Smile
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2648
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 41
Location : East

PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:11 am

Technospaz wrote:
jaketang wrote:
bro...hahaha what i meant it's gone..means i can't jump anymore....something gota do with my cartilage....

can't climb stairs properly, cant squad too fast, etc....

If Tiger can overcome with surgery, so can anyone else Smile

Golf is a great game if you want to take it slowly. No need to rush. Play at your own pace (so long as the marshals don't come after you) Smile

ever consult my doc... he tells me unless i m a pro athlete, if not no point go for operations cost it does not 100 % guarantee back to normal...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Club Head Speed   Today at 6:35 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Club Head Speed
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Club Head Speed
» Is pasting "home made" indicative stickers on a club head illegal?
» Shaft affecting clubhead speed?
» Club head release problem:Rythem , strength or club?
» club head lie

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Ask The Pro-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.