Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2648
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 41
Location : East

PostSubject: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:48 pm

Have not been goin to the range for > 3 weeks.....seems like the drive to go range have slowly die down.....sigh...

used to be very "automatic" go range 2-3 times a week... now it seems like so tiring..... Mad

guys, what is driving your to go range? passion? interest? Sad
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:57 pm

I think going in a group helps. There were a few of us at MBGC today, namely Sunny, Moon, Fabulous, CK, KS and myself. TCSS a little while Moon was showing us the wonders of her new toy Wink It helped motivate... and getting someone else to look at your swing and offer feedback is useful (thanks, Fabulous) Smile

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1368
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:15 pm

why do you feel the need to go driving range??
For my sometimes the driving range sessions are counter productive; I usually go because I've read something in a mag/internet or saw on tv and want to try at the range. The end result is almost always the same; at the end of the range session, I'm even more confused.. Crying or Very sad .
Back to top Go down
setzer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 70
Join date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Qn: Anyway to inspire ourselves to go range?
Ans: Buy new equipments Razz J/K

I agree with Technospaz on going to range in a group... or at least get a kaki to go together. To me, golf and TCSS goes together. :LOL:
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:34 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
why do you feel the need to go driving range??
For my sometimes the driving range sessions are counter productive; I usually go because I've read something in a mag/internet or saw on tv and want to try at the range. The end result is almost always the same; at the end of the range session, I'm even more confused.. Crying or Very sad .

I agree - sometimes I see something on the Golf Channel and I feel like I'd like to give it a go. The range is a good place to test out new things. But I need to remember, while practice makes perfect... practice also makes permanent so doing something wrong repeatedly will be nasty. It's like cementing in a bad habit! Sad
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1324
Join date : 2009-07-05
Age : 35
Location : Sometimes Serangoon Sometimes India

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:36 pm

I usually go alone.. sometimes with CFO.
The drive for range is to improve something tat I am bad in.. At the moment - Driver.
Then play some pitching/chipping.

Usually those who seldom go range are those who has nothing lack of in their game... keke.
Means bery pro. Very Happy

Now I so much hope that I can go rangeeeee. haizz.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 8185
Join date : 2009-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:43 pm

That is a tough one....I had stopped going to range becos I decided to attribute my pathetic golf performance to putting....heheheh.....so got myself a putting mat and just practise putting....
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:08 pm

As a beginner, I guess because I am learning and hence the drive to go to the range is there.

Also since I am investing money in lessons, might as well make sure I not only learn something but become proficient at it. If not, it feels like throwing away hard earned money.

I make it a point to go at least 3 times a week. Lesson / Practice / lesson. Have been following this schedule for a month and can most certainly see the results.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2648
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 41
Location : East

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:11 pm

seems like not only me got the same prob..... heehee

sometimes like what my mentor says, if go to range with wrong approach, it's counter productive. it screw up the swing more... lolz...

but it's quite difficult to come up with a good range routine that we can practice and bring it to the green.. sigh,,

but not discouraging those that juz pick up golf.. we still need to get the grips, stance, tempo, etc to be right at least (of course sometimes we still the pro's to be our 2nd pair of eyes)

goin in group helps but sometimes it's quite difficult to arrange...(tht's wat i feel)...

perhaps i shld meet some republicans at MBGC.. not to practice but to TCSS.. lolz...
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2648
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 41
Location : East

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:14 pm

Winston wrote:
As a beginner, I guess because I am learning and hence the drive to go to the range is there.

Also since I am investing money in lessons, might as well make sure I not only learn something but become proficient at it. If not, it feels like throwing away hard earned money.

I make it a point to go at least 3 times a week. Lesson / Practice / lesson. Have been following this schedule for a month and can most certainly see the results.

wow tht's great...bro, you finish the whole lesson? or taking single lesson?

got a fren of mine told me the best is (after getting hcp n play quite often)

got for lesson once every 2 weeks,
after lesson, go range twice a week, go green twice a week,
after 2-3months, you will improve very fast....
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1210
Join date : 2009-07-30
Age : 29
Location : Serangoon Gardens

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:18 pm

hmmm seems like a very cost effective way too. you won't want to spend thousands on a coach every month..
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:20 am

jaketang wrote:
wow tht's great...bro, you finish the whole lesson? or taking single lesson?

got a fren of mine told me the best is (after getting hcp n play quite often)

got for lesson once every 2 weeks,
after lesson, go range twice a week, go green twice a week,
after 2-3months, you will improve very fast....

eerrmmm...My coach tells me that I can continue to take lessons as long as I want. After 4 lessons, I more or less have the technique for short & mid irons. Today just started on the woods & driver. Each lesson cost me SGD$40.

I did ask him how many lessons do I need and he just said up to me. So I guess once I have learnt all the clubs, than I might just stop. I have yet to go to play on course yet. I have set my self a target of October to hit the course. Beer
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 231
Join date : 2009-07-28
Location : Kovan

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:25 am

$40 a lesson??? where? who?
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer


Posts : 231
Join date : 2009-07-28
Location : Kovan

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:30 am

jaketang wrote:
Have not been goin to the range for > 3 weeks.....seems like the drive to go range have slowly die down.....sigh...

used to be very "automatic" go range 2-3 times a week... now it seems like so tiring..... Mad

guys, what is driving your to go range? passion? interest? Sad

Man!!! you have the same thing with my regular kaki... don't have to practise one lor. How i wish I can have my swings register in me...

I will stay back at the range a bad game man.... like detention in sec. school. lol
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer


Posts : 1723
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 42
Location : 19th Hole

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:59 am

Dstruc wrote:
$40 a lesson??? where? who?

eerrr....In Ho Chi Min City in Vietnam. Local pro teaching. THis is because I am base in Ho CHi Min City. There are some foreigners teaching in Vietnam also. There is an aussie guy charging about SGD$70 per hour
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2648
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 41
Location : East

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:48 am

Dstruc wrote:
jaketang wrote:
Have not been goin to the range for > 3 weeks.....seems like the drive to go range have slowly die down.....sigh...

used to be very "automatic" go range 2-3 times a week... now it seems like so tiring..... Mad

guys, what is driving your to go range? passion? interest? Sad

Man!!! you have the same thing with my regular kaki... don't have to practise one lor. How i wish I can have my swings register in me...

I will stay back at the range a bad game man.... like detention in sec. school. lol

bro, i m those tht need to go range frequently if not my game sux... always feel uneasy if not enuff practice... but nowadays...sigh.... give up liao + lazy....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:03 am

Having given this issue more thought, my learned friend and experienced golfer (DS) told me that golf is a game where you have a quota of good shots per week. Once you've used them all up, that's too bad Razz So, my bad habit is to use up all my good shots in the range such that when I play on the course, I'm stuck with messed up shots.

... at least that's what I'm telling myself these days.

_________________
Clearing my Storeroom of golfing goodies. Please help support Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 3248
Join date : 2009-07-17
Age : 41
Location : Serangoon Central

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:13 am

Technospaz wrote:
Having given this issue more thought, my learned friend and experienced golfer (DS) told me that golf is a game where you have a quota of good shots per week. Once you've used them all up, that's too bad Razz So, my bad habit is to use up all my good shots in the range such that when I play on the course, I'm stuck with messed up shots.

... at least that's what I'm telling myself these days.

LOL! Good one though... the only reason I go to range is to get muscle memory... otherwise, regular playing on the green will help to shave off my score more than regular visit to the range... unless of course I am playing with you Bro. That fantastic hybrid shots put so much pressure on me that I faltered and ended up with double bogey rounds

Bro TS, pls take this as complement Razz
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2648
Join date : 2009-06-20
Age : 41
Location : East

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:52 am

i think to the range, most impt thing you must have what you want to practice in mind. instead of juz goin there to hit numerous of mindless balls and creating unwanted, non-realistic muscle memory....

but range is still impt..for us to adjust our tempo, do some tweaking, etc.....
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member


Posts : 4006
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 71
Location : LaLa Land~

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:05 am

lately the most fun thing to do at range is video our CMI swing in slow motion..
after watching the video of my own... i felt extremely nauseous.. ahhahaahha

but that kinda inspires me to go range to correct my ugly swing and get the most pretty swing out of my limited talent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer


Posts : 7236
Join date : 2009-06-19
Location : Sillypore

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:19 am

wah got video... i also want...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor


Posts : 15650
Join date : 2009-06-18
Age : 41
Location : Typically OOB

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:56 am

missmoon wrote:
lately the most fun thing to do at range is video our CMI swing in slow motion..
after watching the video of my own... i felt extremely nauseous.. ahhahaahha

but that kinda inspires me to go range to correct my ugly swing and get the most pretty swing out of my limited talent.

Err... Moon... where are the vids?
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member


Posts : 4006
Join date : 2009-06-17
Age : 71
Location : LaLa Land~

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:11 pm

YOUTUBE!! hahaha.. pulling yr leg.
it is 30mb+ each.. im thinking how to transfer to you..
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:25 pm

haha..Moon's camera had inspire me to go range...

miss moon, maybe next week i bring my laptop along, so that should make transfer much more easier...hehe
Back to top Go down
quinike
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper


Posts : 361
Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:37 pm

haha last time i brought camera to the range, kenna damn BLACK FACE from the driving range operator cuz he thought my friends and I were coaching, almost chased us away.

But anyway! back to golf_snowmans question. I find that for myself, learning and practising different shots at the range really keeps up the interest. Instead of trying to hit it long and straight all the time,
"try" hitting a variety - stingers with driver, 3 wood - cuts , slices, draws, hooks, high shots with irons etc ...

You'll realise its not easy, and usually cannot execute the shot on command. But once you hit the occasional shot that turned out perfect, you'll want to be able to do it again. You'll start thinking of different feelings, or swing thoughts, to hit different shots.

And the best thing is, this helps your game on the course Smile When you're having a shitty day on the course where everything slices after 5 holes, just "try" that hook swing that you've been working on at the range, and Im pretty sure that will straighten things out abit for you.

Hope this helps! sorry for the rubbish. haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?   Today at 10:59 am

Back to top Go down
 
Anyway to inspire ourself to go range?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Seletar country club range
» Available Golf Range at the South East of Singapore
» fairway pro range mat
» Looking for a range bag
» MBGC raises range ball prices

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: The 19th Hole :: Lounge-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.