Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Getting back into Golf again, need some advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hoppie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Getting back into Golf again, need some advice   Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:50 am

Thanks for taking time to read my post, my virgin post here.

I started playing golf in 2004 and stopped for quite a while can't recall when but i think it's 2006 or 2007 that i stopped due to changing job and no kakis.

Recently decided to pick up the game again as my best friend was influence by his colleagues to start playing again, ok they are crazy over it just like when i started Razz

I got full set of equipment though abit old, some grips are already old till it disintegrate. Below are my Equipments inventory

Irons:
- Callaway Hawkeye 3 to 9 + SW + PW
- Cleveland 60degree Wedge

Woods:
- Taylormade R5 Driver with a custom shaft 55
- Taylormade vSteel FW3
- Kasco Tornado Hybrid 3

Putter:
- Odyssey 2ball putter

I just got back to the range tonight with my best friend after a long long break, still able to hit some balls surprisingly but miss like 20% of the shots though.

Like to get some advise here, should i go take up a refreshment course again? Ok i do not have handicap or PC, i was not very good anyway, played alot last time but din't improve Sad

Another question is regarding the Driver, i am thinking of getting a Stiff driver, may i ask the expert here what is the difference between my ancient eqn and the newer technology ones? As you can see mine are quite old.

My dilemma regarding the Driver is the grip was rubber and already disintegrate, should i get the grip done or ditch it and get a newer technology driver?

Is my irons still ok? My friend ask me get new ones, but i find the irons still usable, i don't see the need, but really is there a need to upgrade the equipments? The thing is i am not pro, i see alot of people going for the latest equipments, will it really help if i am just a beginner?

Sorry for being long winded, thanks for all advice.
Back to top Go down
hoppie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting back into Golf again, need some advice   Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:54 am

Is 55 consider Stiff flex? This was done by a pro shop at a shop beside AYE expressway, can't recall the name but he analyse my swing and recommended my this shaft, so i assume he knows what he is doing.

I wanted to try Stiff as i feels it should give me more control, i am into control rather than distance since i suck at driving. Sad
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting back into Golf again, need some advice   Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:15 am

My 2cents......

Ideally you should upgrade yor irons...but if you want to maintain status quo, then changing grip is a must.

As for driver, don worrry too much yet, go range and go for games a couple of times, and then decide.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Getting back into Golf again, need some advice   Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:29 am

55 maybe the weight of the shaft not flex. Or it could also be measuring 255 on the CPM. Got pics?

As to your clubs: I'd say what the heck just buy lor! With new clubs, you'll feel better out on the course and you're less likely to leave the game again Laughing

(A) a new driver (technology has moved most in drivers)
(B) new irons (e.g. if your current skills demand a player's iron or if the shaft need to be replaced, might as well buy new set). 2009 models are going for very reasonable prices.
(C) Get new wedges, you'll benefit from fresh grooves etc. The cleveland CG14s are very good.

Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting back into Golf again, need some advice   Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:46 am

my personal opinion :

buying equipment is a never ending path, there will always be new technology coming up here and there, so how deep is your pocket ?

Looking at your set, i would say that is reasonably ok, not the latest stuff on market now, but definitely not that old that could affect your game. However, should certain component is affecting you, you should consider just change off these, eg like Grip.

As for shaft stiffness, visit a clubfitter again to have it 'Trackmaned'..currently only BigFish and WizGolf have the Trackman that could give you very good data analysis on your driving.
You can get them to change off the grip as well.

Last but not least, range more, play more, get back the feel and then move on from there.

Hope my view helps...just my 2 cents worth of view

Snowman
Back to top Go down
bb2
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting back into Golf again, need some advice   Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:49 am

welcome back
Back to top Go down
hoppie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting back into Golf again, need some advice   Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:27 am

heh thanks all for the replies, you guys are really helpful, for Irons, i guess i will stick to it for a while, paid alot during those days Sad It's the Callaway VFT Hawkeye (Titanium Face)

Regarding the grip, do i really need to change it out? i tried it at the range, the irons and the fairway wood grips still looks and feel ok, only the driver one is the headache.[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting back into Golf again, need some advice   Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:20 am

hoppie wrote:
heh thanks all for the replies, you guys are really helpful, for Irons, i guess i will stick to it for a while, paid alot during those days Sad It's the Callaway VFT Hawkeye (Titanium Face)

Regarding the grip, do i really need to change it out? i tried it at the range, the irons and the fairway wood grips still looks and feel ok, only the driver one is the headache.[img][/img]

hi bro

You can just change out the driver's grip, at the same time, have trackman to generate the data for your swing if you are thinking about changing shaft.

Enjoy !!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Getting back into Golf again, need some advice   Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:25 am

bro, book value of the VFT already zero, fully depreciated hahahaha this is what I call sunk cost mentality Laughing Just kidding bro

buy buy buy buy.....Christmas coming up, New year coming up, chinese new year coming up...buy buy buy.
Back to top Go down
hoppie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Getting back into Golf again, need some advice   Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:02 pm

whaha.............yeah...........Titilists AP1 looks good
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting back into Golf again, need some advice   Today at 8:52 am

Back to top Go down

Getting back into Golf again, need some advice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1