Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:06 pm

zhenxua wrote:
JonL_TK wrote:
zhenxua wrote:
ms lee, I kept pulling and hooking my drives recently, any solution for me?
ZX... No idea why but maybe sell the 910!!! Haha
Maybe choke down on the club abit more (halfway) and see how...

Worst come to worst... Play a 44" driver like me!!!
Probably lose 5-10m but you gain accuracy

thanks! will try it out at the range tonight; sunday was a bad day, only found the fairway 3 times ...

im supposed to be playing 44.5" on a 45" driver ...

found fairway 3 times and your score? What a Face

Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:08 pm

buy a strong 3 wood....get rid of the current driver and 3 wood.....put in an extra wedge. Razz

why need 250 m drive + 180m 3 wood inconsistently, when you can get 230m + 200m consistently

wood shallow face?
driver deep face?
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:36 pm

tronos wrote:
buy a strong 3 wood....get rid of the current driver and 3 wood.....put in an extra wedge. Razz

why need 250 m drive + 180m 3 wood inconsistently, when you can get 230m + 200m consistently

wood shallow face?
driver deep face?

Hi bro

me 1st time heard of strong 3wood, can explain more to me ? i really dun mind give up my driver if 3w is doing me good and always keeping me on fairway...

thanks
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:37 pm

blee2007 wrote:
zhenxua wrote:
JonL_TK wrote:
zhenxua wrote:
ms lee, I kept pulling and hooking my drives recently, any solution for me?
ZX... No idea why but maybe sell the 910!!! Haha
Maybe choke down on the club abit more (halfway) and see how...

Worst come to worst... Play a 44" driver like me!!!
Probably lose 5-10m but you gain accuracy

thanks! will try it out at the range tonight; sunday was a bad day, only found the fairway 3 times ...

im supposed to be playing 44.5" on a 45" driver ...

found fairway 3 times and your score? What a Face

bro, why ask if you already know the answer....haha !!

ZX just doing his routine buaya talk here lah....haha !!..buaya buaya buaya !!!
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:58 pm

If my driver is having an off day, I'll bring out my 1 hybrid (16 deg). Shorter club, so easier to hit consisitently.

I gave up using 3wd (3 of them are in cold storage) as the hybrid is easier to handle both off the tee and on the fairway/rough.

And, don't try to kill the ball and start the takeaway slowly.
Back to top Go down
hoppie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Quest wrote:
If my driver is having an off day, I'll bring out my 1 hybrid (16 deg). Shorter club, so easier to hit consisitently.

I gave up using 3wd (3 of them are in cold storage) as the hybrid is easier to handle both off the tee and on the fairway/rough.

Interesting, i am looking to replace my Fairway 3. What would be a suitable hybrid replacement? How many degree loft or what number? Something Hybrid only shows the degree not he number.

My fairway 3 hasn't being much help for me, i have a Rescue 3 which is better.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Quest wrote:

Wah..bro

you have just given me a good reason to use my 1 hybrid (15deg)...haha !!
looks like i'm gonna sell my driver soon...sob sob Sad

wonder can i pull out the driver shaft, trim it and shaft it into my 1 hybrid head ?
anyone can advise me ?...

thanks
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:25 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
tronos wrote:

wood shallow face?
driver deep face?

Hi bro

me 1st time heard of strong 3wood, can explain more to me ? i really dun mind give up my driver if 3w is doing me good and always keeping me on fairway...

thanks

bro, a strong 3-wood usually has 13.5deg loft, it's actually a 2-wood to me
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:31 pm

zhenxua wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
tronos wrote:

wood shallow face?
driver deep face?

Hi bro

thanks

orhhhhh.....!!

but now i already headache with my 3w, if i buy 2w...will that give me another headache ?
how ar like that ?

i think it's the indian..not the arrow ...Sad

keke
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:51 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
zhenxua wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
tronos wrote:

wood shallow face?
driver deep face?

Hi bro

thanks

orhhhhh.....!!

but now i already headache with my 3w, if i buy 2w...will that give me another headache ?
how ar like that ?

keke

ZX is right on that note. The strong 3 is usually a 13 deg club as opposed to a regular 3 wood with 15 deg of loft. When woods were still woods, they called it a 2 wood, recommended for those who struggled with the driver off the tee.

I'm hazarding a blind guess here.... Have you considered your ball position at setup with both the driver and 3 wood? If you tee it very forward, say off your big toe instead of the left heel, that could be a factor.

Check your ball position on the days when you play well with your driver versus the days that are good with your 3 wood, and see if there is any subconscious shift in ball position either forward or back.

You might get away with a more ball forward position with the driver since it is of lower loft and a deeper face. With the more lofted and smaller headed 3 wood, the end result is probably a cantonese or topped ball.

Ball further back works fine for the 3 wood, but could be a problem for the driver since there is less time to square the face. Such a position could also cause a de-lofting of the driver clubface making it difficult to launch the ball.

Again I'm just hazarding a guess at what's possible, there could any number of reasons... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
b.b.carabanesis
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Birdman wrote:
ZX is right on that note. The strong 3 is usually a 13 deg club as opposed to a regular 3 wood with 15 deg of loft. When woods were still woods, they called it a 2 wood, recommended for those who struggled with the driver off the tee.

How is a smaller head easier to hit than a bigger head?
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:07 pm

[/quote]
Wah..bro

you have just given me a good reason to use my 1 hybrid (15deg)...haha !!
looks like i'm gonna sell my driver soon...sob sob Sad

wonder can i pull out the driver shaft, trim it and shaft it into my 1 hybrid head ?
anyone can advise me ?...

thanks
[/quote]

Hybrid is shorter than 3wd. So easier to hit.

Dun think it will be useful to reshaft the hybrid with the driver shaft. Hybrid shafts are normally heavier, so may become unbalanced. No knowledge here, so better to consult a clubfitter.
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Actually, a strong 3wd or 2wd may not be ideal. It is more difficult to launch the ball due to the lower loft and would have limited usage except off the tee. No guarantees also that the 2wd will be easier to hit than driver as the former's head is so much smaller.

Better to get someone to look at your swing first before splurging on clubs.

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:21 pm

b.b.carabanesis wrote:
Birdman wrote:

Did you watch the movie "Patriot"? Aim small, miss small..... its all about practise. Dun give up even if you are consistently slicing or pulling them. I have been thru that, nearly gave up on the driver until Cap (and68low) told me... what is golf without the driver??? So i persist, and keep practising.... and if you can hit you other clubs well, then it may be your shaft or the driver that is giving you the problem. Dun ever be shy to go look for a fitter. They should be experience enough to tell you whether is your problem or the equipment problem.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:39 pm

duffader is a classic example...

a few months ago he had problems with his driver. we have to tease him and challenge him until he found out how to optimise his drives.

in his case he just need to swing the club instead of hit the ball...

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:23 pm

DGman wrote:

a few months ago he had problems with his driver. we have to tease him and challenge him until he found out how to optimise his drives.

DGman

Boss, can start to tease me and challenge me or not? My driver's distance is short; 200m. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:33 pm

Birdman wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
zhenxua wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
tronos wrote:

wood shallow face?
driver deep face?

Hi bro

thanks

orhhhhh.....!!

how ar like that ?

keke

I'm hazarding a blind guess here.... Have you considered your ball position at setup with both the driver and 3 wood? If you tee it very forward, say off your big toe instead of the left heel, that could be a factor.

Check your ball position on the days when you play well with your driver versus the days that are good with your 3 wood, and see if there is any subconscious shift in ball position either forward or back.

You might get away with a more ball forward position with the driver since it is of lower loft and a deeper face. With the more lofted and smaller headed 3 wood, the end result is probably a cantonese or topped ball.

Ball further back works fine for the 3 wood, but could be a problem for the driver since there is less time to square the face. Such a position could also cause a de-lofting of the driver clubface making it difficult to launch the ball.

Again I'm just hazarding a guess at what's possible, there could any number of reasons... Very Happy

Hi bro

thanks for the advise.
On my next range session, I will take note of the ball position and maybe will try to simulate the situation with different ball position to see if the same situation happen..

most of the time, i use my left foot as a reference for driver, maybe you are right, i could be using the same reference for my 3w tee off..keke
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:37 pm

asahi wrote:
DGman wrote:

DGman

Boss, can start to tease me and challenge me or not? My driver's distance is short; 200m. Crying or Very sad

bro, ur driving distance is 200m and u need boss to tease you....
i think i need boss to do more than just teasing me liao...Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:39 pm

one day driver can but 3w cannot...

next day, 3w can but driver cannot....

methink its a LOFT problem..... Very Happy

just kidding....
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:45 pm

slinger wrote:
one day driver can but 3w cannot...

next day, 3w can but driver cannot....

methink its a LOFT problem..... Very Happy

just kidding....

loft problem ?...can adjust loft for driver and 3w ?...hmmm..keke

guess it's time to pay clubfitter a visit liao....hehe
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:46 pm

Slinger don't how lian...months ago you also came to me and say you need help...everything is falling apart.

u better tell everyone who is your sifu..of course its not me, i only F you on putting.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:51 pm

haha...maybe i should find Slinger's sifu to help me also...

then me and slinger will be 同门师兄弟...haha !!
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:18 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:
Maybe your driver and #3wd specs very different in terms of weight/flex?

master ss

SW : Driver is D2.8, 3W is D1.4
CPM : Driver is 235, 3W is 220
shaft : Driver is Fujikura R-flex, 3W is Tour AD R-flex
total weight : Driver is 317gm, 3W is 326gm

err...actually dun really know these difference consider big anot...keke

anything i should make adjustment to these clubs ?

Without seeing your swing when either your driver or 3w is working well off the tee, I'm only making a half-guess based on what I observed from my golf buddies... Smile

While the SW and total weight maybe pretty close, you did not mention the length of your clubs. I suspect it could be either an inconsistent grip pressure or that you're very sensitve to the total club MOI of your driver & 3w.

If you have details of both your driver & 3w for the:
(a) headweight (including any lead tape or tip weights)
(b) uncut shaft weight & total uncut shaft length
(c) installed club length
(d) grip weight
I can estimate the MOI of both your clubs.

The more important questions are what actually happens when you could not tee off with, say the driver? Do you top, duff, slice or hook? How are your bad shots like with the 3w?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:27 pm

b.b.carabanesis wrote:

If you are speaking of from the fairway or rough, a smaller head has a lower CG, and a lower CG means it's easier to launch the ball, something a lot of people have trouble with when using the 3 wood. Also, a smaller head means less resistance when you use it from the rough, making it again easier to get the clubhead to the ball. A smaller head also can concentrate more mass behind the ball. Think of a lady stepping on your foot with stilettos or with flats, which is more painful?

There are manufacturers who have gone the opposite way and made larger heads for fairway woods, believing that a smaller head also means a smaller sweet spot. So they've expanded the faces for larger sweet spots. These clubs still have a low CG, and they look bigger cos they've flattened the back end of the club. It's like you take a box and you step it flat, from the top it now looks bigger than it was before, right? The con of such larger heads is that they are harder to use from the rough, they create more resistance through the long grass.

So which to choose depends on what you are looking for in a fairway wood. Playability, meaning the ability to perform from a wide variety of lies, or ease of use with a larger sweet spot. Whether big head or small head, one should make sure that a good portion of the ball is visible above the top of the clubhead for easy launch.

There is one more design that is worthy of mention since it took the golfing world by storm. It was effectively a clubhead turned upside down, instead of a rounded crown and flat sole, it was a flat crown and contoured sole. Adams popularised that design concept, which made it very easy to use out of "Tight Lies", which was what the clubs were called.

Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:28 pm

r510tp wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
Ssquirrel wrote:
Maybe your driver and #3wd specs very different in terms of weight/flex?

master ss

SW : Driver is D2.8, 3W is D1.4
CPM : Driver is 235, 3W is 220
shaft : Driver is Fujikura R-flex, 3W is Tour AD R-flex
total weight : Driver is 317gm, 3W is 326gm

err...actually dun really know these difference consider big anot...keke

anything i should make adjustment to these clubs ?

Without seeing your swing when either your driver or 3w is working well off the tee, I'm only making a half-guess based on what I observed from my golf buddies... Smile

While the SW and total weight maybe pretty close, you did not mention the length of your clubs. I suspect it could be either an inconsistent grip pressure or that you're very sensitve to the total club MOI of your driver & 3w.

If you have details of both your driver & 3w for the:
(a) headweight (including any lead tape or tip weights)
(b) uncut shaft weight & total uncut shaft length
(c) installed club length
(d) grip weight
I can estimate the MOI of both your clubs.

The more important questions are what actually happens when you could not tee off with, say the driver? Do you top, duff, slice or hook? How are your bad shots like with the 3w?

oh..i miss out the club length...keke
Club length : Driver is 45.75inch, 3W is 43"

usually i grip down a bit, maybe 1/2 inch when using driver

wow, bro..these clubs are buy off the rack, not custom fitted, so i really dun have the other information you mention.

As for the lousy shot are usually slicing...well..me still beginner..keke
meaning if my driver go straight that day, my 3w will most likely to slice
if my 3w go straight that day, most likely my driver will slice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Today at 5:58 am

Back to top Go down

Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next