Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.
 
HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 94
Join date : 2009-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 pm

Based on the estimated following driver & 3w specs:

Driver
45.75" / D2.8 / 317g / headweight ~ 195g / grip ~ 51g / shaft ~ 70g / 460cc
Approximate MOI = 2882 kg/cm2

3W
43" / D1.4 / 326g / headweight ~ 215g / grip ~ 51g / shaft ~ 65g
Approximate MOI = 2810 kg/cm2

The difference in MOI of 72kg/cm2 is quite significant and can definitely be felt by your hands. Assuming "ceteris paribus", what this difference in total club MOI means is that it takes more effort to swing and square your driver than your 3W.

Based on the above MOI, I would recommend bringing down your driver MOI to match your 3W. (Again, note I'm doing this "blind" without seeing your swing..)

Proponents of total club MOI believe that having MOI matched clubs make the golf swing easier and more consistent as all clubs would feel the same. Theoretically, it takes also the same amount of energy/force to swing every club in the bag if they are MOI matched.

Keep in mind the figures above are all estimated. So take it with a pinch of salt. Nothing beats going down in person with your clubs to get your swing analysed and clubs specs measured. Smile
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:07 am

r510tp wrote:
Based on the estimated following driver & 3w specs:

Driver
45.75" / D2.8 / 317g / headweight ~ 195g / grip ~ 51g / shaft ~ 70g / 460cc
Approximate MOI = 2882 kg/cm2

3W
43" / D1.4 / 326g / headweight ~ 215g / grip ~ 51g / shaft ~ 65g
Approximate MOI = 2810 kg/cm2

The difference in MOI of 72kg/cm2 is quite significant and can definitely be felt by your hands. Assuming "ceteris paribus", what this difference in total club MOI means is that it takes more effort to swing and square your driver than your 3W.

Based on the above MOI, I would recommend bringing down your driver MOI to match your 3W. (Again, note I'm doing this "blind" without seeing your swing..)

Proponents of total club MOI believe that having MOI matched clubs make the golf swing easier and more consistent as all clubs would feel the same. Theoretically, it takes also the same amount of energy/force to swing every club in the bag if they are MOI matched.

Keep in mind the figures above are all estimated. So take it with a pinch of salt. Nothing beats going down in person with your clubs to get your swing analysed and clubs specs measured. Smile

wow...very interesting !!

as you have mention, bring down my driver MOI to match my 3W...how to do it ?
I have heard about MOI matching but din really have a chance to experience that before..especially on driver and woods...
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal


Posts : 3798
Join date : 2009-10-09
Age : 51
Location : Wherever my feet take me....

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:09 am

Interesting and informative r510tp.

Are you a club fitter, engineer, or physics professor? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:13 am

my guess : r510tp is a club fitter...haha !!
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 94
Join date : 2009-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:41 am

Birdman wrote:

Interesting and informative r510tp.

Are you a club fitter, engineer, or physics professor? Very Happy

Thanks Birdman. Nope, I'm neither. I'm just a lousy golfer using complicated theories to push the blame on my equipment... Razz ROFL

golf_snowman wrote:

wow...very interesting !!

as you have mention, bring down my driver MOI to match my 3W...how to do it ?
I have heard about MOI matching but din really have a chance to experience that before..especially on driver and woods...

A slight omission in my estimation. When you choke down about 0.5" on the driver to play at 45.25", the MOI drops to about 2815kg/cm2, which is very close to your 3w MOI. It's amazing how we can feel so much with the hands isn't it? Smile

To reduce MOI, you can shorten the club length, reduce swing weight or reduce total weight. Perhaps the link below can help shed some light on MOI?

http://www.calgolftech.com/whats_new/driver35.html
Back to top Go down
b.b.carabanesis
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer


Posts : 92
Join date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:01 am

Birdman wrote:
If you are speaking of from the fairway or rough, a smaller head has a lower CG, and a lower CG means it's easier to launch the ball, something a lot of people have trouble with when using the 3 wood. Also, a smaller head means less resistance when you use it from the rough, making it again easier to get the clubhead to the ball. A smaller head also can concentrate more mass behind the ball. Think of a lady stepping on your foot with stilettos or with flats, which is more painful?

There are manufacturers who have gone the opposite way and made larger heads for fairway woods, believing that a smaller head also means a smaller sweet spot. So they've expanded the faces for larger sweet spots. These clubs still have a low CG, and they look bigger cos they've flattened the back end of the club. It's like you take a box and you step it flat, from the top it now looks bigger than it was before, right? The con of such larger heads is that they are harder to use from the rough, they create more resistance through the long grass.

So which to choose depends on what you are looking for in a fairway wood. Playability, meaning the ability to perform from a wide variety of lies, or ease of use with a larger sweet spot. Whether big head or small head, one should make sure that a good portion of the ball is visible above the top of the clubhead for easy launch.

There is one more design that is worthy of mention since it took the golfing world by storm. It was effectively a clubhead turned upside down, instead of a rounded crown and flat sole, it was a flat crown and contoured sole. Adams popularised that design concept, which made it very easy to use out of "Tight Lies", which was what the clubs were called.


I thought we are talking about off the tee?
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer


Posts : 2851
Join date : 2009-07-16
Age : 44
Location : Dreamland

PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:29 am

r510tp wrote:
Birdman wrote:

Interesting and informative r510tp.

Are you a club fitter, engineer, or physics professor? Very Happy

Thanks Birdman. Nope, I'm neither. I'm just a lousy golfer using complicated theories to push the blame on my equipment... Razz ROFL

golf_snowman wrote:

wow...very interesting !!

as you have mention, bring down my driver MOI to match my 3W...how to do it ?
I have heard about MOI matching but din really have a chance to experience that before..especially on driver and woods...

A slight omission in my estimation. When you choke down about 0.5" on the driver to play at 45.25", the MOI drops to about 2815kg/cm2, which is very close to your 3w MOI. It's amazing how we can feel so much with the hands isn't it? Smile

To reduce MOI, you can shorten the club length, reduce swing weight or reduce total weight. Perhaps the link below can help shed some light on MOI?

http://www.calgolftech.com/whats_new/driver35.html

Bro, great info.

so since i grip down 1/2 inch on my driver and the MOI is almost similar, then I guess it's not the equipment that cause the issue...then next must be the golfer liao lor....Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!   Today at 3:56 am

Back to top Go down
 
Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
 Similar topics
-
» Driver and #3FW cannot play on the same day..sad !!
» Proforce AXIVCore Shaft
» Driver - Draw, Straight or Fade
» Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods
» Is it Possible to play to a single handicap with a 210 metre drive?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Ask The Pro-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.