Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

New Year, New Goals.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: New Year, New Goals.   Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Happy New Year Golfers!

I know it's a little late for new year greetings but I was away for a month and just returned.

Western Canada, home for the holidays, family and friends, and white Christmas. Amazing!

5 weeks without touching a golf club, not so amazing. My golf swing and my body are telling me that there is a lot of work to do to get back into shape.

So, I'm going to start the year with a commitment to playing more golf and getting my game in shape like never before.

My goals for 2011 will focus on physical fitness and dedication to practice.

Fitness- last year I worked hard on my physical fitness with workouts that were very specific to bringing more power to my golf swing. The results were great, and my body, and my golf swing never felt better. However, it was not uncommon for me to skip a week or two of workouts and take a few steps backward. So.... this year my fitness goal is to be more dedicated to my workouts by writing down a fitness schedule at the start of every week, and making sure that at weeks end I have checked off every item on the list. Stronger, Faster, Flexible.

Practice - My practice habits are lazy at best. Not enought chipping and short game practice, and will often go days without practicing on the range, for which there is no excuse since my office is only 3 steps from the driving range mat. So.... this year my practice goal is to be more dedicated to productive practice sessions by writing down a pracice schedule at the start of every week, and making sure that at weeks end I have checked of every item on the list.

It's going to be a great year for golf and I do hope to mee more of you and join you for a game.

Does any body else have some goals for thier golf this year?

Lets hear em.

Have a great weekend!

Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Goals.   Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:13 am

I would like to have some goals this year.... but still thinking through it...

I plan to have a goal that is
- relating more to practice habit instead of score
- relating more to mental discipline (e.g. pre-shot routine)

need your help to formulate above-mentioned tihis year

Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Goals.   Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:20 am

Brad,
Care to share what your workout routines are like?

My goal this year is to get back in shape. (and not to keep telling my other half that Round is also a shape that is just as good as any other shapes)
albino
Back to top Go down
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Goals.   Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Brad,
Care to share what your workout routines are like?

My goal this year is to get back in shape. (and not to keep telling my other half that Round is also a shape that is just as good as any other shapes)
albino

Getting fit and staying fit is certainly not an easy thing to do. It requires comittment, a knowledge of the proper diet, and understanding of the correct excercises and techniques to achieve your fitness goals.
I have been lucky because my sister is a fitness expert and a personal trainer so she has taught me a bunch of useful exercises, correct techniques, and good workout and eating habits. I also learned a lot from a friend of mine who is a fitness expert who trains NHL hockey players in Canada and used to give me free access to his facilities and get me in shape in exchange for free golf lessons.

I try to get some sort of cardio workout every day. Usually I ride my bike to and from work which is a pretty intense 20 minutes of keeping up to traffic and trying not to get hit by a car(s) on my way between Hillview and Jurong Country Club. I can stay pretty fit with that alone.
If I don't ride my bike then I will swim, or run in my neighborhood and up the hill and the stairs at the Bukit Batok Nature Park which is insane. Anyway, it doesn't have to be super intense cardio workouts but you do have to be consinstent from week to week. 3-4 hrs / week minimum.

A good gym workout for me usually takes about an hour and a half and will consist of a virety of excersises focusing on getting stronger everywhere, always with a little more focus on core strength and flexibility. I us free weights to build strength in my arms, chest, and back, a lot of squat type exercises for my legs, and a number of exercises specific to strengthening my core muscles. I use the swiss ball (giant exercise ball) for almost everything, and other tools like medicine ball, and risistence bands. I finish my workouts with about 15 minutes of yoga to keep me flexible.

Now, not all exercise has to be super intense or hard core, especially if you are just starting out.

First learn a little about proper diet and good eating habits. It makes an amazing difference.
Start with some regular cardio exercise like swimming, jogging, or even a brisk walk, on a regular routine. Really the only way for you to loose that round shape is by diet and to burn it off with cardio.

If you're not into lifting weights or spending hours in the gym, look into pilates, get a basic video and work out at home. Short pilates workouts that require no special equipment can provide amazing results that are great for a golfers body, and you will actually feel a difference after only 2 or 3 woukouts.

Are you a golfer with a bad back? Try basic pilates. You will thank me.

Good Luck!

Would love to hear your fitness success stories.

Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Goals.   Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 am

Brad, thanks for sharing. I'll try to start with some cardio and body weight exercise.....
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Goals.   Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:35 am

sp0rtsnutone wrote:
I love playing golf and fantasy football, but fantasy football season is over. I find myself with lots of time on my hands. What can members recommend for a game to play against others each day that requires skills and luck with some kind of championship?

You can fantasize playing fantasy football.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Year, New Goals.   Today at 2:08 pm

Back to top Go down

New Year, New Goals.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1