Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:18 am

planning to spend my last $2k of my CTC travel Voucher with a golf trip to Bandung with my family. (Of course, need to top up $)

any bros been there?

Is it a good time to goto Bandung in mid March? Is it raining season?

Any good golf shop, courses or Factory Outlet to recommend?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:07 am

DaveAHA knows bandung weather best Very Happy Actually, I do not see difference between rainy and dry seasons in Jkt-Bdg anymore, it rains once in a while. When it rains, it pours but usually finishes in two hours. Like Singapore, AM tee off is safe. Tee off at 6 AM Bdg time (7 AM SG), very nice, cool balmy weather, morning dew, fresh air.

Golf shop, not so much. Singapore is still better.

Courses: Dago old course (Dago Pakar). Very tight, hilly fairways, small greens, not long. Classic, old skool course. I love it. There's a newer course with similar design called Mountain View but I have not tried it. There are other courses south of Bdg, but a bit out of the way and similar to JB flat courses. So I recommend going uphill to Dago old.

FO: all shops along the Dago road. They are close to each other, just take a peek, and if it's no good just walk next door. FO Rumah Mode is at Jalan Setiabudi. The other street with good FOs is Jalan Riau. If you have pre-teen/teenage kids, they will like the t-shirts at Distro shops (small shops off Jalan Dago).

Pick up Amanda "steamed" Brownies at Jalan Dago/near the FO. Whenever I bring Sporean friends to Bdg, they go gaga over it and bring kilograms back.

Food: Sajian Sambara for Sundanese food, Warung Lela for Indon style noodle (near the Dago golf course), Lotek Kalipah Apo at Jl Riau, Yogurt at Jalan Cisangkuy, The VIEW at Dago Hills for dinner/supper with beautiful view of the city from top.

It would be much easier for the family if you hire a chaffeured van. Roads are snaky and traffic is not like Singapore yah..

There are a lot of web blogs about food, FOs and distros in Bandung. use them for directions.

Enjoy your holiday!
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 am

thanks for your feedback.
Back to top Go down
guybrush
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:14 am

yeah dave is from bandung, so he shld know better..

dun forget "pisang molen" from kartika sari..yummy Smile
pisang molen in english is kind of banana puff i think..inside the puff there is banana, chocolate and cheese..
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:20 am

Yeah, pisang molen. I concur.

oh and go to Ice Cream shop RASA at Jalan Temblong. Your kids will love it. They've got all sorts of crispy snacks for ta pao. Wife will love them.

Alfred, make sure you have enough luggage and an empty stomach.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:24 am

@ Dave....when are you bringing me to Bandung?
Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:36 am

enough luggage? u mean space for new clothing from factory outlet?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:51 am

yeah, and the food to ta pao. I arranged 3 friends to visit Bdg last year, each paid $$ to Air Asia for the extra luggage on the flight back home. Well it was mango harum manis season at the time, and each brought 8-10 kg of mangoes to SIngapore.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:55 am

pushslice wrote:
yeah, and the food to ta pao. I arranged 3 friends to visit Bdg last year, each paid $$ to Air Asia for the extra luggage on the flight back home. Well it was mango harum manis season at the time, and each brought 8-10 kg of mangoes to SIngapore.

Harum Manis I like.. always try to go to JLT around July?August.. then last stop is to go buy.. haha
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:03 am

Ok ok, my names have been mentioned here few times so let me try to get my feedback... Panji sums it up quite well actually.

1. Golfing in Bandung : It's raining all year long, but mostly in the afternoon, or evening only... If you want to play golf there, make sure that you tee off first thing in the morning. 7 am tee off (it's bright already) is the latest as 11 am sometimes it starts to rain. Afternoon sometimes has cloudy sky but not raining , so it's a last minute thing if you want to play in the afternoon.

2.Golf courses : we have plenty in Bandung and its surrounding. Within 1/2 hour drive from city center is Mountain View and Old Dago Endah, both are located at the northern area called Dago. Mountain view is nice, quite new too, but very challenging. Like its name, it’s undulating, and surrounded by forest. So lots of the fairways are flanked by OBs, and hazards. Old dago is quite okay, but it’s still using cowgrass fyi. Jatinangor course is one hour drive away, very popular and quite straightforward course…. Three courses enough for you ? Very Happy

3. Food and shopping – I truly don’t know where to start. Haha… Tons of Factory outlets (FO) to visit. Won’t be enough for one day to go there to shop. Some popular FO are in the Jalan Setiabudi area, Dago and Riau area. For dining, you want ambience or food ? For ambience, there’re plenty of cafe and bistro at the mountain area, around 30-60 min drive. Beautiful view, cold weather, a bit wet sometimes, but worthed to go like The Peak, The Valley, or Cloud 9 (all in the northern part of Bandung).

Few more tips :
1. I suggest you hire a car there with a driver.
2. Try to avoid Indonesia public holiday too as the traffic will be a killer.
3. Bandung custom is troublesome. Try not to bring items that can be targeted by the custom officers.

@Bro Duval, when you want to go ? I’m going there soon this month end… hehe….

Maybe we should arrange Bandung golf trip Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:38 am

gd feedback. sound interesting place to go.
Back to top Go down
kynoe_tan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:40 am

any idea how much would the golfers insurance cost ?
Back to top Go down
crayon33
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Erm, disclaimer here: The post you are about to read contains shameless product placement information. If you find product or sales information that will lead to you making an informed decision to be objectionable, please do not continue to read this post.

I am selling a pair of dryjoys rain pants in the market place. Perhaps this, and or the cross H2Off pants, and a golf umbrella will help you make your round(s) of golf in Bundung more enjoyable?
Back to top Go down
quacks
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?   Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Bandung weather is beautiful... tee off in the morning... afternoon go rest and relax...at night come out and enjoy the cool evening weather and shop!

In March there is still a high possibility of rain, if you want a dryer climate try to go maybe in the June -> September window.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?   Today at 12:03 am

Back to top Go down

Is it raining season in Bandung mid March?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1