Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

How to lower my launch angle?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GooGie
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi to all the Pros out there.

I want to lower my launch angle so the ball comes off the face lower than it currently does.

Will hitting down on the ball with a steeper angle of attack help me achieve a lower launch?

A simple yes or no will suffice

thanks!
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:22 pm

no. i am not a pro. but i am giving u my 2cents anyway.

no. it will not lower launch by hitting steeper. it will go higher in fact.

oh yah. i forgot.

no. a simple no.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:51 pm

First of all I am not a Pro....I am just a SB.

For me..and me only, I have one sure way.

I realized that if i hit the ball just above the 'equator' line of my golf ball...the ball will fly very low....

ok ok...more serious.....knock down shot....ie move ball behind, take one club higher, choke down, 3/4 swing....
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Yes and No Smile
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:22 pm

i recall gary player or was it tom watson said he hit the ball on the club face 1 groove lower to bring down the ball flight..

for me i just top or skull the ball.. ROFL
Back to top Go down
GooGie
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone, but where are the Pros?

Also please don't confuse launch angle with how high the ball gets at it's apex. Launch angle is the angle the ball leaves the clubface, not how high it climbs downrange (which is a result of backspin)
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:59 pm

No. There are many factors to consider than just hitting down with a steep plane. In any case, what makes you think that you can alter the AoA just by hitting down steeply ? If you have the answer, please share ok Smile
Back to top Go down
GooGie
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:03 pm

A steep angle of attack will normally keep the hands ahead of the ball at impact, no?

And the more the hands ahead of the ball at impact the lower the ball will fly, no?
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:21 pm

Man, I really don't know. A repeatable swing to me is such that at the point of impact where the clubface contacts the ball, there should either be level or a little forward shaft lean with a flat left wrist and slightly open clubface in relation to the target line for the driver. I have never attempted to hit the driver with a steeper swing and don't see myself having the nerve to do that. A lot has to do with individual swing characteristics to determine the right fit of equipment. Changing one's swing characteristics to alter the AoA is as good as screwing up your own game, in this case, tee shots with the driver. Wouldn't it be better to decipher your data on the LM and get fitted with the ideal driver loft to compliment your AoA ?
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:24 pm

Tee Up Lower or Go get fit for your driver and put one of this shaft that have mid to high kick point such as Fujikura Motore F1 , Diamana White Board , Proforce V2 ect.....
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:39 pm

Here is the wannabe pro answer for you Razz
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Commentary at PGA tour.....

"wow, cx out the aoa of sergio's tee shot and the launch angle of the ball, simply perfect!"

Back to top Go down
waadee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:38 pm

GooGie wrote:

I want to lower my launch angle so the ball comes off the face lower than it currently does.

Will hitting down on the ball with a steeper angle of attack help me achieve a lower launch?

thanks!

iam having the same situation... iam using burner xd which are game improvement clubs... i wish to have a more piercing ball flight... any help from pros??
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:30 pm

You should post video of your swing from set up .. in front and back camera ...
Back to top Go down
kef529
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Something i read from books which works for me.... you may try adjusting where you play the ball in your stance. The further back the ball is in your stance (i.e. nearer to the right foot for a right handed player), the more loft you'll remove from the clubface when it strikes the ball which results in lower-trajectory shots. Just my 2 cents....
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:17 pm

kef529 wrote:
Something i read from books which works for me.... you may try adjusting where you play the ball in your stance. The further back the ball is in your stance (i.e. nearer to the right foot for a right handed player), the more loft you'll remove from the clubface when it strikes the ball which results in lower-trajectory shots. Just my 2 cents....

Thats what SB DS already advised. He can shaped any type of ball you want. Just ask. But normally he only gave one free advice hor. Second request gonna cost you money. Tio boh bro? Need money to play golf ma.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
thehacker
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:28 am

GooGie wrote:

thanks!
My answer is a simple no. But I feel obliged to explain further.

If you tee up a driver, hitting down with steeper angle of attack would cost pop ups, very high launch angle. Unfortunately this high launch angle comes with high spin as well, which reduces distance.

For drivers, you want high launch, but low spin. A level to slightly ascending angle of attack would give you an optimal launch angle - not necessarily lower angle. The only factor that would really impact launch angle and nothing else, is the loft on the driver.

For everything else except putter, you really want a descending angle of attack, which would increase the launch angles and spin rates.

So in short, hitting down increases launch angle, and spin rates. It is exactly opposite of what you try to achieve if you want a lower launch angle.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:58 am

looks like no Pro is giving free advice here...
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:29 am

I think because Pro also scratching their head what does he mean by hitting down mah.

In plain English, hitting of golf ball is from up to down. So hitting down is a very general term, everyone interpretion of hitting down maybe different as well and is it a swing thought? confused
Back to top Go down
GooGie
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:36 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
That's obvious considering all the replies are the opposite of what club fitters say.

Take one of the last replies for example. I'm told to achieve a high launch I need a level or upward attack, yet the next two paragraphs I'm told a downward attack will also give me a high launch???
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:39 am

GooGie wrote:
That's obvious considering all the replies are the opposite of what club fitters say.

Take one of the last replies for example. I'm told to achieve a high launch I need a level or upward attack, yet the next two paragraphs I'm told a downward attack will also give me a high launch???

So what have we learnt today?

Very Happy #FF

why not find a pro and get the answer?

I am not sure if it makes sense but let me just add some more. What I learnt recently from a pro is that the angle of your follow-through determines the ball flights as well. Smile

Make sense?
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:50 am

GooGie wrote:
mUAr_cHEe wrote:

haha...it looks like " A blind leading a blind" situation here....

bro, as much as you hope to get some feedback from any pros, i believe they will have their reservation too...personally i felt a good pro should not just post answers to question or solution to problems without even looking , understanding the problem you are facing.

So, i think it's better to find a reputable pros, go thru a few session with him and ask him whatever questions you have ..i think it's more fruitful this way...just my thot..keke

snowman
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:00 am

golf_snowman wrote:
GooGie wrote:
mUAr_cHEe wrote:

haha...it looks like " A blind leading a blind" situation here....

bro, as much as you hope to get some feedback from any pros, i believe they will have their reservation too...personally i felt a good pro should not just post answers to question or solution to problems without even looking , understanding the problem you are facing.

So, i think it's better to find a reputable pros, go thru a few session with him and ask him whatever questions you have ..i think it's more fruitful this way...just my thot..keke

snowman

Ha ha ha.... "case of no money no talk" or "you guys are so dumb, simple english also cannot understand... no time for you!"
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:27 am

most of the stats are related to each other... a steep AoA will increase the spin rate.... high spin rate will cause the ball to go high.... so just but looking at the launch angle may not be as useful as looking at everything...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:39 am

You have to tinker with the shaft flex and loft of the club head. Stiffer shaft with high kickpoint will likely give u a lower launch angle. The angle of attack (impact) on the ball also play a part in the launch angle. Some golfers cannot change their angle of attack which they're so used to, they just have to use a stiffer shaft (low torque & high kickpoint) with lower loft club head (e.g. 7.5 or 8.5 deg). Obviously, one needs to know if they have the club head speed to handle a stiffer shaft with high kick point and low torque before they consider reshafting, if not it would be disaster!

Hope the above helps ... sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to lower my launch angle?   Today at 10:45 pm

Back to top Go down

How to lower my launch angle?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next