Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeFAQCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hello

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi All,

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Dan and my wife, son and I recently moved here for a 4 year assignment. We are super excited about the upcoming experience.

I happened across this board and figured I would look it up and see what it was all about. I am a contributor to GolfWRX and used to write articles for them a few years ago. I am also friends with Joe Kwok.

I am a former golf professional and have played in an event on the PGA Tour (Genuity Championship). My golf resume is pretty long, recently resigned my PGA membership and returned to school to finish my degree (UC Berkeley) in Economics, graduating in 2009.

I don't play as much golf as I would like but still manage to get it around ok when I do. Sometimes I will shoot a few under par, other times several over par (really depends on the day, mood, etc...)

My gear is on a ship currently and scheduled to arrive sometime in March. Until then it is rentals or no golf.

Anyhow...I will look forward to poking in here from time to time and playing some golf over here. The courses look nice and I am anxious to get out there and bang it around.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:09 pm

Welcome to the Golf Republic, Dan! Smile We look forward to having you participate in our games and hopefully, share with us your experience on the Tour Smile

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:10 pm

welcome to our humble forums.

courses look nice but are generally more expensive than what's available in the US.

Adams A12 Pro 23* GD Tour AD UT85 R
Callaway X Hot Pro 5-PW PX95 5.5
Titleist SM4 50*, 54*, 58* DG Spinner
Scotty Studio Select 2012 Golo 33"
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi Dan... Welcome to Golf Republic!
There are some nice courses here as well as across the border... We also have members for that might be able sign you in to member courses

Enjoy your stay here
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi Dan

I pmed you on Golfwrx.

Welcome here!

Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:34 pm

if u are graduating in 2009, what year are you in now?

Welcome to GR!
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:35 pm

If you guys have been following golfwrx, you will know that Dan has got an EXTENSIVE collection of clubs.

I would think Sham ranks far behind compared to him.

Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:37 pm

S70B wrote:
If you guys have been following golfwrx, you will know that Dan has got an EXTENSIVE collection of clubs.

affraid

Very Happy waiting for his WTS threads then Laughing
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Same nick in golfwrx? Will look it up.

Welcome Dan!
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:49 pm

S70B wrote:

looking to sell anything? Haha
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks Guys for the warm welcomes....Seems to be commonplace over here in Singapore and that is a good thing!!!

To answer a few of the queries or comments:

@Techno: Would love to get into some of the games. Good way to meet some people

@eiji: Thanks for the heads up.

@JohnL: Appreciate the info. I think I will be able to play a couple of the private tracks through the American Club. But some of the others are still out of bounds as of right now. Would be nice to play those too.

@S7OB: Appreciate the well wishes on WRX...will look forward to playing some G with you when I get settled.

@Pushslice: Yeah same handle on WRX> Have almost 2k Posts over there, should be easy to find some things.

@Muar: I graduated in 2009 from University of California-Berkeley. So I am done and have my bachelors in Economics.

As far as my golf collection it is a little smaller now than in the past. I used to have a pretty vast collection, but moving, storage and sales have depleted the pool for sure. I have some things in storage, but those are items that I won't part with. The clubs that are on their way over here are my gamers, aside from my Scotty tour issue that I got when I played in my PGA Tour event. I wrote a two part story for GolfWRX a few years ago when I was writing for them and will post that here so you guys can read it and hopefully enjoy a little insight into what goes on inside the ropes.

Aside from that. I am looking forward to my years over here and hopefully can add a little to this golf forum and contribute some of knowledge and years of experience in golf. Even though I am not a professional anymore I still keep up with latest trends, equipment, etc.

Dan
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:03 pm

how about sharing your WITB Singapore edition? Golfwrx style (with pics) hahahaha....

I'm also a guest in this land, and never regret my decision to come live here for a few years. One tip if I may: Do get to know the local slang. Many forumers use it here, plus it would make your stay in Singapore (outside the American club) a lot more enjoyable Laughing

I use the dictionary at http://www.talkingcock.com
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:06 pm

Welcome Dan.....to the forum....as you can see, we are golf fan here.......some more fan than others...hahah

In golf, I am a Seasoned Beginner..

....just me 'D'
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:14 pm

@Push: I will get a WITB as soon as my clubs arrive. I don't have any pics right now of my current set up...too busy on the move and they won't be here for a month.

I do know what it is though:

Driver: TM Superfast TP with tour issue Fuji Motore speeder vc 7.1 from Joe Kwok
3w: Callaway Diablo edge tour
5w: Callaway Steelhead Plus
3&4 Hybrid: Adams Tour prototpe
5-PW: Adams idea pro with TT Black Gold
SW: Ping Tour S
LW : TM XFT
Putter: Rotate between a few: RIfe Abacoa, Scotty Cameron 3xblack Tour issue newport, TM sebring (custom from Kia Ma)

@Duval: Thanks for the welcome.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:42 pm

welcome Dan,

i am sure our paths will cross soon. Wijaya is a friend too.

you may want to join the game 7-sadam-1...

wise set up you have there and i can only see one thing missing.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:47 pm

Fwah... Adams FTW!!!
The American Club is a great place... I was once a junior member there!

The Super Bowl Party is one you shouldn't miss...

The Eagle's Nest (Cafe) has quite a good buffet spread and the Nachos are delicious

The Chinese Restaurant is also quite good, however they should be under renovation at the moment.

The Poolside cafe is great for kids!!!

If not mistaken, the American Club has some good reciprocal clubs and the club arranges "friendly" competitions with other clubs
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:27 pm

I love the Nachos at Eagle's Nest and the mexican food there is quite delicious. But since you are in Singapore, you must try out all the local food, we have a regular sunday morning game here at NSRCC Kranji course where the after game food is pig trotter vermicelli, something i think you should try.

we also meet up for range sessions weekly on wednesday nights at Marina Bay Golf Course's driving range, it might be a good place for you to start to meet some of the regulars from this forum there. do check out the Starry Starry Night thread.

Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:51 am

@DG...Curious to know what my set is missing.....

@JonL & Eiji...Thanks for the advice. It will be good to be able to get to a driving range and maybe get into a game. That will be a good way to meet some people and have some fun. That is actually how I met and became friends with Joe Kwok in California. Just met him at his studio one day and we played some golf and became good friends.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:13 am

Dan

Driving ranges here are cheap compared to US. Unfortunately, no decent grass ranges though.

We hv a weekly meetup session every Wed evening at Marina Bay Golf Club. That one is a public course too. (One of mebbe 2 in Sg but the other isn't even worth a mention). The group size differs weekly but its a great way to meet up, chat about everything under the sun and just ogle at each other's golf equipment.

PS: DGman is a local clubfitter. We do not have very many in this country and he is pretty good in his work.

Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:27 am

@S7OB...Great info thanks. This is exactly why I joined this place. Love to get the lowdown on what to do/not to do here.

Is the Marina Bay GC accesable by MRT or Bus? Just curious...or is it one of those things where I need to get a taxi to get there? We are not going to have a car here at least for a while as it is crazy expensive and since we are going to live close to Orchard/Scott there is really no reason. Plus learning to drive on the other side of the road will be quite a challenge...I could see myself going the wrong way somewhere and that would be bad... Sleep

Also thanks for the info on DG the clubfitter. That is also good to know just in case.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:32 am

Welcome Dan. People on this forum are a pretty friendly bunch.

You can ask all sorts of golf/non-golf related questions and someone would be able to point you in the right direction to help your stay in Singapore be more enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:41 am

Dan

Unfortunately, there are no bus services nor MRTs nearby to Marina Bay but don't worry, we have friendly ppl here who will always give you a ride whenever its convenient.

Staying in town area, your closest range is Turf City or Keppel Club(I'm a member) located near Harbourfront / Vivocity.

Yes, tell me about crazy car prices. My little pocketpack of a car's cost is equivalent to brand new BMW 335 in the US.

Check out the 'Local Games' Section. We have many members organising games ard here and its good fun to join up and meet new ppl.

If you are more serious, we have 2 upcoming. 'ASS' (acronym for 3 members here and68low, Slinger and myself S70B) where we do a 3 v 1 ( strokes accorded will be dependant on the individual) where we play for a little more money hahaha.

We also have a 11 v 1 'Saddam' game (check out the thread '7 saddam 1') where 11 of us are going up against our best local pro Mardan Mamat who is an Asian and Japan Tour member. The game will be at his home course Raffles (western part of Singapore). $100 bet per person against him but all in good fun and also fostering some competitive spirit.

DGman attends alot of Asian Tour events and he is a regular fixture at our Barclays Singapore Open.

Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:47 am

not true Rex, you can take a MRT to Aljunied Station, and catch Bus service no. 158 towards the city/geylang(it should be the side without crossing the road from the MRT Station, from there the Bus will take you into Tanjong Rhu, you will have to alight just as the bus makes the loop, from there its approx a mile walk to the driving range. Or catch a cab from either the Stadium Train station(Circle Line) or Kallang Station.

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:49 am

Hey Dan,

We have variety of players...eg. the ones mentioned by S70B.....

and if you want to have a good laugh looking at someone struggling to make bogey or par.....you can consider calling me....
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:51 am

Dude

I did take Bus/MRT connections plus those 'mile' walks into the club when I was younger.

Not fun lugging a golf bag around doing all this mate.

But hey, if the passion is great, Will will persevere.

PostSubject: Re: Hello   Today at 10:44 pm

Back to top Go down

Hello
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Welcome to Golf Republic Forum :: Self Introduction-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.